Sunday, 7 August 2016

Academics vs Creatives

Don't get me wrong, I love a sudoku puzzle as much as the next person but nothing angers me more than an academic who has their head so far up their arse that they're using their lungs as a pillow. By this I mean the close-minded predisposition many have of a creatives dreams to pursue a career in this fabrication being constantly dismissed.

Why the sudden outburst you ask? Well let me fill you in. I've had a change in scenery this week which in turn means a different kettle of fish. With results day looming over us, I have been asked the question "So what's next?" at least 72284904 times. 80% of the responses (from mathematicians and pretentious people) I have had back from my intentions of pursuing photography have been monosyllabic to say the least. Not only did this majorly get me down but managed to have me overthink my entire life choices at 3.39am, then at 11am, then again at 4.36pm, and repeat. 

So after many days of overthinking and a little more overthinking, I have come to this conclusion; 
academic or creative, no matter where you interests, job prospects and hobbies lie, fuck it. Do what makes you happy, if you don't see yourself in what you're about to leap in then step back. In turn, if you see yourself thriving in what you're about to do then jump in with both feet first. Support and encourage the people around you. It's okay to fear the future because it's a whole load of unknown. Don't let other peoples opinions get you thinking what you know you do best. As the great Shia Labeouf once said; just do it. And that's all you can do.

I do feel a little like Shia Labeouf right now...

And for all my creative peeps who are constantly down-trodden by the close minded buffoons, get your camera, paintbrush, pen, sewing kit or whatever you use and tell them to suck it because we're great. I mean so are the nice, open minded academics - you guys know numbers and science and shit which is pretty cool.

Just keep an open mind. Oh and peace n love. 

.jpeg x

No comments:

Post a Comment